Friday 23 May 2014

Musings of an Artist

Painting in the balcony of my flat for many years was very nerve wracking, having to juggle with brushes and paints in a constrained space. I yearned for a tranquil environment and I started dreaming of a studio space with trees and squirrels scuttling around. My wanderings in this colony known for old bungalows, led me to this haven that turned out to be a dream setting for creativity. The present ‘Lady of the Manor’ very kindly offered a room in her courtyard full of fruit trees and beautiful foliage. Dappled sunlight made me dizzy with happiness and I sighed with relief. 
The room which I use as my studio was the residence of the carriage driver when Richard Cookson, the original owner resided a century ago                                      .
This heritage Gothic style home is silent testimony of a bygone era and I paint sometimes feeling ‘a hand’ that guides me to create figures in my abstract world. Visitors claim they discover figures emerging within abstract shapes and it is a journey of discovery for them !
The surrounding space in the compound creates many possibilities for sketching pathways or freezing the ever changing growth in nature with charcoal sticks or watercolors coined as “happy paintings” bringing release from the intensity of abstract art. There are times I don’t paint but stare blankly into space just mesmerized by natures’ glory till a loud thud heralding the dislodging of a large avocado from its branch brings me to reality. Many artists have visited me here and linger on soaking in the ambience while being lulled by the beauty in this old world scenario. Many have declared their envy despite having large studio spaces!





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home